SharePoint: plain text, rich text, AutoHyperlinking, and Markdown

I’m just about finished with the SharePoint project that I’ve been working on for the last few months. One requirement for the project was to allow arbitrary “comments” on the main documents for the project. There are some built-in ways to accommodate comments in SharePoint, but I gave up on those after experimenting a bit. Instead, I created a new list that would act as a child table to my main list, in a simple one-to-many relationship. And I decided to use plain text (rather than rich text) for the comment field itself.

I’ve had problems with SharePoint rich text fields in the past, and I wanted to put some constraints on the users, so they wouldn’t go nuts with the vast array of bad things rich text fields in SharePoint let you do. And I didn’t see any reason why plain text wouldn’t be “good enough” for this particular case. However, for this application, a lot of URLs and email addresses are going to get posted in comments, and I wanted to be able to “linkify” them. I almost wrote my own code for that, but then found the SPUtility.AutoHyperlinking method. It works pretty well, and also translates quotes, angle brackets, and other possibly confusing characters into their corresponding HTML entity codes.

I also got a little interested in the idea of supporting some limited formatting (like bold, italic, etc.) without going full-on rich text. My first thought on that was to look into the SharePoint wiki functionality. I was hoping for a function like SPUtility.AutoHyperlinking, but which would convert some simple wiki markup into HTML. But SharePoint’s wiki capabilities are limited, and really only support links.

So I then gave Markdown some thought. There’s obviously no built-in support for Markdown in SharePoint, but I figured that I could find a .NET library that would let me handle the MD to HTML conversion on the back-end. There are, indeed, several libraries available for Markdown conversion. I found two that stood out as probably the best, for my use:

  • CommonMark.NET is a pretty popular one that’s been around for a while.
  • Markdig looks like it’s probably newer and slightly less popular than CommonMark.NET, but it has some interesting extensions, including an auto-linking extension that would have been useful for me.

In the end, I decided that it was pretty unlikely that the user base for this project would embrace anything as nerdy as Markdown, so I didn’t bother adding it to the project. But I had some fun messing around with it.

And I should mention that I figured out, at some point, that SharePoint 2013 supports two levels of rich-text: one that is the “full” rich text mode, allowing pretty much anything and everything, and one that is limited to a pretty reasonable subset (bold, italic, text alignment, links, and stuff like that). In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the limited rich-text, though even that might have caused unexpected issues. (I have learned to trust SharePoint only as far as I can throw the server on which it’s running…)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.