found it

Following up on my post from a couple of days back, I found my invalid nulls today. There were null values where there shouldn’t have been on 20 records in a table of 100,000+. I fixed them. Tomorrow, I hope to zero in on whatever program bug is causing them to get in there in the first place.
A couple of quick observations:
First, SQL Profiler is my friend. There wasn’t really any way I could trace what the VB6 program was doing, and it wasn’t putting out enough error info for me to figure it out, but by following a SQL trace, I eventually isolated the problem records.
Second, I discovered Query ExPlus today, which turns out to be a pretty good tool if you need quick access to a SQL query tool on a machine where you can’t actually install the full SQL Management Studio.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.